Wednesday, November 12, 2008

This day I am thankful for...

...my village. "It takes a village to raise a child." author Unknown

I believe that statement ten fold. I think my parents did a pretty darn good job raising me, but I don't think they would mind if I gave a little credit or maybe a lot of credit to the other influences in my life as I grew up. To name a few were, my Pastors, Youth Pastors, Sunday School teachers, Training Union teachers, GA teachers, Girl Scout leaders, school teachers, school counselors, college professors, mentors...this list could go on an on.

Thankfully, I am in a village with my children that has a slew of wonderful leaders. E is experiencing a great deal of love and encouragement here. Our little school is awesome. The staff there truly cares about the inner child and works every day to encourage self acceptance. Her Brownie Troop leader last year was wonderful. She has had great cheerleading coaches (one being fellow blog friend, Julie), soccer coaches, basketball coaches, softball coaches, all who have volunteered their time to teach them talents. The Children's Pastor, Pastor Colleene, at our church is "THE BOMB". Her intern/assistant Candice is just as wonderful. They both clearly love our children and relate to them in a way that I cannot. Pastor Laura loves the children and greets them with smiles and love as well. All three take time to be with our children on their level. But at the same time, all three will jerk a knot in these kids to lead them in the right direction. Yesterday, Pastor Colleene and Candice threw together a trip to the movies at the last minute. They knew the kids were out of school and they ususally have Allies (after school christian group) on Tuesdays. Those two could have taken the afternoon off. But instead, they chose to find a way to spend it with our kids. These kids (and their parents) will remember that forever. Pastor Rick loves our children as well, and hugs them up any time they pass by. Their love for Jesus is expressively evident and what a witness to us. The children here are blessed beyond measure to have these influences in their lives.

REVELATION...as I was writing this post I felt the love of God over me. You know that warm fuzzy feeling you get and you know it is Him wrapping his arms around you. Well, I just got it...WOOHOO...thank you Jesus. He reminded me that I need to remember these people in my daily prayers. So...OK God...I here you...I WILL lift them up to you. I realize Bo and I could not do this "raising" thing all by ourselves.

6 comments:

jennykate77 said...

This is sooooo true. It really does take a village to raise a child. I know Isaiah has benefited from our village...family, friends, church family. I don't know what I would do without them. Thanks for the reminder to be thankful :)

Hope you're having a wonderful Wednesday!

Christy said...

Nice post! What church do you attend, Miranda?

Sara Beth said...

oh what a wonderful post! i have to agree, I know my E has benefited from the "village" God has placed in our lives.

How blessed you are to have all those around you!

And WooHoo! Gotta love it when God sends the Holy Spirit to give us a little love! Prayer is the most wonderful gift you can give your friends!

nomo wino daph said...

waaaaah You make me miss my church!! Memories!! Pastor Rick NEVER would let my Brantley Anne get past him with a big hug and kiss on the cheek! The always a high five to Baylor or hug! Childrens/Youth program/directors....AWESOME!!!

So glad you y'all love CLC!!

Unknown said...

It's good to hear good stories of adults that are doing as they are Biblically commanded, to teach the younger. One of my favorite flairs on facebook is "I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my kids". But then I live in a different village as you all. We do now have some awesome church leaders that are doing a great job with our kids.

Unknown said...

OK, So I love research. It gives me a chance to learn something new. So I looked up your proverb. It's an African proverb, they also have some like "One knee does not bring up a child" and one hand does not nurse a child. You also can find scripture in Eccl. That says 2 are better than one. Hope this helps.